[Ads-l] confinscated

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 23 06:03:34 UTC 2016

Candace Payne, better known as the Chewbacca Mask Lady, stumbles over the pronunciation of “confiscated” in her recent hit video (http://bit.ly/25dScPj <http://bit.ly/25dScPj>).

In “Kohl’s Seizes Marketing Gold, Showers Woman Who Loves Chewbacca Mask With Free Stuff” (Slate, http://slate.me/1qBnlce <http://slate.me/1qBnlce>), Daniel Politi reports that in response to the free PR her mention of their store has provided, Kohl’s has provided her with free stuff and the spokesperson purposely mispronounced the word as “confinscated."

I’m too lazy to look through my books to find the technical term, so I’ll just say it appears to be assimilation from the coda of the first syllable to the second.

Google shows that this is a common misspelling of “confiscated.” One example:

Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> (http://amzn.to/1TpFpDC <http://amzn.to/1TpFpDC>)
Are the seeds still being confinscated by US customs?
by Lilac the Destructor

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA