[Ads-l] "slave" vs. "enslaved person" revisited?

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon May 23 14:18:42 UTC 2016

On 5/22/16 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Sat, 21 May 2016 21:58:13 -0400
> From:    Dan Goncharoff<thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: "slave" vs. "enslaved person" revisited?
>
> Since you prostitute yourself, the noun seems strange.

No, not in the case of sex/human trafficking. You are prostituted by
others (the traffickers, the pimps, etc.) or by conditions.
(And that's one of the problems that Steinem has developed with the
feminist backing of sex work: she sees that much of it is forced by
economics and so is not the free choice that many allege it is. [IIRC])

---Amy West