[Ads-l] Don't mess with Texas!

Mon May 23 21:06:46 UTC 2016

As a card-carrying prescriptivist, I say that "truths" is plural (or should
that be "are plural"? -- what a tangled web we prescriptivists weave --)
and "has been ordained" is singular and therefore must be meant to agree
with "a chosen behavior".  And therefore, Texan Republicans,
prescriptivists all, must find that homosexuality is ordained by God.

GAT

Who, actually, being a remnant of the 60s, believes that if it feels good,
write it.

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> ...when Texans can mess with it themselves.
>

> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/19/478720206/how-the-wrong-verb-meant-the-texas-gop-called-most-texans-gay
>
> From the just adopted Texas Republican party platform:
>
> 84. Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental
> truths that has been ordained by God in the Bible, recognized by our
> nations founders, and shared by the majority of Texans.
>
> I think they left out a comma (after "truths", where they're claiming that
> God ordained homosexuality in the Bible.  Not *my* reading of Scripture,
> but Texas Republicans should know.
>
> LH

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..