[Ads-l] teenincy & T9C

Cleve Evans cevans at BELLEVUE.EDU
Mon May 23 21:21:59 UTC 2016

Has it ever been pointed out on ADS that this term, often in the spelling "T9C", has on several occasions become a girls' name?

http://www.behindthename.com/name/tc/submitted

Cleve Evans

"TEENINCY [ti 'naIntsI], adj. Very tiny."

Undocumented addendum by this correspondent:

Also [ti 'naintSI] in TX.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2010-August/102311.html

Apparently, the latter pronunciation is also known beyond the borders of Texas.

I Love Myself when I Am Laughing. And Then Again when I Am Looking Mean and Impressive.
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=3D0912670665
Zora Neale Hurston, =E2=80=8EAlice Walker - 1979 - =E2=80=8ELiterary Collec= tions Mrs. Tony all but fell to the floor in her agony. "Lawd a'mussy! Mist'
Starks, you ain 't gointuh gimme dat lil _teeninchy_ piece fuh me and all mah chillun, is yuh?

And it lives, yet:

ornamentalconfectionery.blogspot.com/2015/08/cirrus-solids-miniquilt-challe=
nge.html
Ornamental Confectionery: Cirrus Solids Miniquilt Challenge--Finished!
Aug 13, 2015 - I did no prep beyond lowering tension a _teeninchy_ bit---no thread stand, used a regular quilting needle---and only had one thread break, at the very beginning.

The blogger gives her location as "Mid-Atlantic."

Someone else uses @teeninchy as a Twitter handle.
--=20
-Wilson