[Ads-l] stay black and die

Tue May 24 07:14:29 UTC 2016

Thanks Wilson, JL, and Peter for an interesting topic.

Date: July 25, 1925
Newspaper: The Indianapolis Star
Newspaper Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Column: New York Day By Day (syndicated)
Columnist: O. O. McIntyre
Quote Page 6, Column 8

[Begin excerpt]
At the newest of the colored musical shows two shuffling comedians
begin an argument. One orders the other in haughty manner to do this
and that. Finally he rebels.

"I don't gotta do that at all," he said. "I'se only gotta do two
things in this life—stay black and die."

And the audience laughed!
[End excerpt]

Regarding the variant "be black and die":

Apparently, the line "All I got to do is to be black and die, lady"
was spoken by James Earl Jones in the 1970 film "The Great White Hope"
according to an IMDB quotation list. (These quotation lists are not
always accurate; hence verification via film/video is required.) The
same line might have been included in the 1967 source play. (I don't
know.) Jones won a Tony Award as boxer Jack Jefferson. The author of
the play and screenplay was Howard Sackler.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065797/quotes