[Ads-l] "that + poss" = 'whose'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 25 00:42:46 UTC 2016

So common in speech it must be very old, but I rarely see it in print.

This may be a relatively "early" ex.  It comes from Library of
Congress LP L20, "Anglo-American Songs and Ballads" (1946). Oral, not
written:

"This is Dick Devall, the cowboy singer from Oklahoma - Reed,
Oklahoma., Route 2. I will try to sing you a little ditty. For the
benefit of all those that don't know what the word 'dogie' means, I'm
going to try to tell you. A 'dogie' is just a little calf that his
mammy died in a bog hole and his daddy ran off with another cow."

JL