[Ads-l] stay black and die

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 25 04:01:49 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 3:14 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> "I don't gotta do that at all," he said. "I'se only gotta do two
> things in this life—stay black and die."

Possibly the inspiration for the mythical "old Negro" who goes around being
overheard by white folk to whom the writer in Collier's made reference.

Probably not, though. That stock character is older than Mister - er, that
is, "Uncle" - Remus. But...

Youneverknow
--
-Wilson