[Ads-l] almond

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri May 27 09:54:48 UTC 2016

The /ae/ pronunciation is found in Canada as well, surprisingly, and there are other 'patriotic vowel' cases there too, similar to the ones found in GB. I agree that it's up for grabs who's showing their 'patriotism' vs. who's showing their 'sophistication'.

There's another sophistication phoneme that we've discussed extensively on this list (while we're coining new sociolinguistic terms I might as well claim mine..), namely /zh/ in place of /dzh/ in things like Beijing and Di Giorno.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: almond

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

> On May 26, 2016, at 7:04 PM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu> =
wrote:
>=20
> "i suspect this ash (rather than ah) is an instance of Patriotic =
Vowels,
> with ah perceived as foreign"
>=20
> "Patriotic Vowels" isn't in the recently-revised "P" section of the =
OED.
>=20
> Will Arnold's message be the earliest recorded instance?
>=20
> GAT

I wonder, though.  "Pasta" for example gets an Italianate /a/ Stateside =
but an /ae/ in the U.K., and IIRC there are other examples.  Who's =
patriotic now?

LH
<zwicky at stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>=20
>>> On May 26, 2016, at 7:30 AM, Joan Hall <jdhall at WISC.EDU> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> DARE says that pronunciations with an "open o" and no "l" are
>> "infrequent. It also shows that pronunciations with an ash are =
especially
>> frequent in California, where they are grown.
>>=20
>> i suspect this ash (rather than ah) is an instance of Patriotic =
Vowels,
>> with ah perceived as foreign --  in particular, British, or more
>> significantly, (Mexican) Spanish in areas where there are significant
>> numbers of such speakers (who are popularly categorized as =
foreigners, no
>> matter how long they've been residents, even unto 150 years).  lots =
of this
>> in place names: Colorado, Nevada, Los Gatos, Los Altos, Palo Alto, =
etc.).
>>=20
>> the idea is that "almond" with ah is Mexican, while ash is Real =
American.
>>=20
>> arnold
>> The American Dialect Society - =
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialect.=
org&d=3DAwIBaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsS=
xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3DqX6OMvTAWU242rBAzXfrjTn6iUNX-eo_k2mg2h3kngw&s=3DDtVO8v=
9BuZArHrCFCaV0bH-up1NwaS6QYbFD6Z_cgpA&e=3D=20