[Ads-l] sophistication phoneme (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri May 27 15:24:48 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Sophistication phoneme?  Is that like when people who speak a conversational variety of English try to be hyper-precise when pronouncing
foreign words?  I remember comedian Brian Regan (or perhaps his brother Dennis) doing a routine during the Iran-Contra era about
newscasters who had no knowledge of the Spanish language or Hispanic culture saying "Manawha Nicarawha" with rolled r's and guttural
hard c's.

And often on NPR, you'll hear a reporter embedded in a foreign country use the local pronunciation of a word, rather than the
conversational American pronunciation.  See, for example, almost any story done by Sylvia Poggioli.

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED