[Ads-l] What does the ugly stick look like?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 2 01:40:44 UTC 2016

I've actually wielded a Newfoundland ugly stick in a "musical" performance
which was part of my ritual initiation as an "honorary Newfoundlander" in
the town of Trinity.

Other parts of the ritual included kissing a codfish on the lips and
downing a dram of the local "screech."

Make your own ugly stick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Mgzr-kwnw

I do not know if this "folk instrument" antedates the 1980s, at least under
the current name.

JL