[Ads-l] melodicas and bazookas

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Nov 4 17:22:41 UTC 2016

I'd pronounce "fear" as a diphthong too, I think.

But interestingly, when I was searching for minimal pairs where I'd pronounce
the vowel differently (at least, inside my head -- a tape-recorder might beg to
differ, which is one among several reasons why I was always rotten at
phonetics), I came up with peer/pier vs. pair/pare, and purse vs. parze, but for
the life of me, the best I could manage for a monosyllabic version of "-per" was
the quasi-Latin  "as per usual".

Does English only allow "per" as a bound prefix?

Sort of why I thought "Merry Mary married hairy Harry" (a marriage made in hell)
might be relevant to the issue.

Robin