[Ads-l] The NYT: comma > semi-colon

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 6 14:22:30 UTC 2016

I'm with Ben (that is, against Wilson).  And I think the semicolons are rhetorical (which may apply to reading as well as speech -- OED sense 2.a) -- I pause longer for them in the list than for the commas.

Joel

      From: Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2016 1:21 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] The NYT: comma > semi-colon

I'm with Wilson, and note that the Wiki entry cited has "may".  Something about
those semicolons in that context itches my brain.

Semicolons there may be logical but they sure ain't rhetorical.

Given that punctuation is a newfangled intruder gifted to us by Caxton, the
conventions may still be in the process of settling.

Praps why the Sainted Emily used dashes.

Robin Hamilton