[Ads-l] Antedating of "zowie"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 7 16:02:31 UTC 2016

In 1900, two newspapermen  from Chicago wrote a stage play entitled "Zowie's Dion", a send-up of a quack faith-healing temple on Michigan Avenue called Dowie's Zion, named after its founder and chief Mystic, John Alexander Dowie.

The play, "Zowie's Dion" consisted mostly of women in pink tights and a healer named Zowie who ran around bonking everyone on the head with inflated bladders tied to the ends sticks.  No word on whether he said "zowie" as he bonked them, it may just be a coincidence.  The theater caught fire shortly after the performance, which had been billed as a particularly "hot" show.  You can't make this stuff up.

See, Chicago Tribune, May 21, 1900, page 8. Newspapers.com.

The word seems  reminiscent of college cheer gibberish of the period.  Haven't found it exactly, but Ohio Wesleyan's official cheer included "Alakazu ka zu ki zow, Raz zi zi zow" as early as 1893.
________________________________
From: Margaret Winters<mailto:mewinters at WAYNE.EDU>
Sent: ‎11/‎7/‎2016 7:11
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating of "zowie"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Margaret Winters <mewinters at WAYNE.EDU>

I've certainly heard 'wowie zowie' used sarcastically ('big deal!!!).  Why =
that initial consonant for the rhyme, though, I cannot say.  For what it is=
 worth, Hebrew has 'yofi tofi' used equally sarcastically.

MARGARET E WINTERS
On Leave
Office of the Provost
Wayne State University