[Ads-l] leave it all on the field

Sun Nov 13 04:24:17 UTC 2016

Here is an instance in 1983. The excerpt below suggested a rationale
for the construction of the phrase:

Date: October 24, 1983
Dateline: Anaheim, California
Article: The always relaxed Vince Ferragamo was in the midst...
News Service: UPI NewsTrack
Database: NewsBank Access World News

[Begin excerpt]
'They had nothing left at the end. They left it all on the field, and
I'm damn proud of them. The Rams are one helluva football team, and so
are the 49ers.'
[End excerpt]

Garson