[Ads-l] more nominalized adjs.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 23 17:36:18 EST 2016


_The Young and the Restless_:

"People take time out from the crazy in their lives."

JL

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> United Healthcare:
>
> "I'm done with complicated!"
>
> JL
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 2016 _Supergirl_ (CW TV): Hey, what's with the grumpy?
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yup, more subjects.  I do have the vague sense that these are (all)
>>> somehow a bit metalinguistic, and that BCBL questions, for example, aren't
>>> entirely synonymous with "What does fearlessness look like?" or "Does
>>> fearlessness age?",  but I won't try to propose an analysis.
>>>
>>> LH
>>>
>>>
>>> > On Nov 14, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>>> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Dispositive Blue Cross Blue Shield ad:
>>> >
>>> > "What does fearless look like? Does fearless age?"
>>> >
>>> > JL
>>> >
>>> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu
>>> >
>>> > wrote:
>>> >
>>> >>> On Nov 13, 2016, at 6:17 PM, Jonathan Lighter <
>>> wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>>> >> wrote:
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Sonic:  "Nothing tastes better than free!"
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Am starting to think these nominalized forms occur only in objective
>>> >>> positions. True?
>>> >>
>>> >> I don't think so, at least if we count equative structures:
>>> >>
>>> >> "Crazy is fine. I can go for crazy."
>>> >> "Cozy is what I like."
>>> >>
>>> >> Rinse and repeat for other nouned adjectives.
>>> >>
>>> >> LH
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>>
>>> >>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Jonathan Lighter <
>>> >> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>>> >>> wrote:
>>> >>>
>>> >>>> Trailer for the new Warren Beatty movie: "If you're crazy, I want
>>> more
>>> >>>> crazy!"
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> JL
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Jonathan Lighter <
>>> >>>>> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>>> >>>>> wrote:
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>> The ad says that to make the Duluth Trading Fire Hose Shirt Jac,
>>> it
>>> >> took
>>> >>>>>> "tough,  toasty, and some cozy."
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>> Another example, from the NYT Online:
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>> "The hatred toward her would have bloomed forth unchecked: more
>>> >>>>> obstruction, more mudslinging, more investigations, _more vile_
>>> would
>>> >> have
>>> >>>>> been in store for her."
>>> >>>>> --
>>> >>>>> -Wilson
>>> >>>>> -----
>>> >>>>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange
>>> complaint to
>>> >>>>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>>> >>>>> -Mark Twain
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> >>>>> The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.
>>> com/v2/url?u=https-3A__urldefense.proofpoint&d=CwIBaQ&c=-dg2
>>> m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMF
>>> FaLQ&m=WcBOBBjidvuYC78_Zj-Cv5jG4VFdsjy7ug1rpdx0Ua8&s=TUbGTsg
>>> wqZMbeSV-U1XvKiZZB-nwZqqrUX_qqe_8fXo&e= .
>>> >> com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=CwIBaQ&
>>> >> c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxP
>>> >> IWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=OWzFW_3eNE-QOhJ4wE2Qi9Ag1oawuyS9cgDHd5nAJNQ&
>>> s=WAxEM2AIS_
>>> >> jwbLgjwbtcXdFJfnMY-i3W8hyXvPPVRzQ&e=
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> --
>>> >>>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>>> >> truth."
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>> --
>>> >>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>>> >> truth."
>>> >>>
>>> >>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> >>> The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.
>>> com/v2/url?u=https-3A__urldefense.proofpoint&d=CwIBaQ&c=-dg2
>>> m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMF
>>> FaLQ&m=WcBOBBjidvuYC78_Zj-Cv5jG4VFdsjy7ug1rpdx0Ua8&s=TUbGTsg
>>> wqZMbeSV-U1XvKiZZB-nwZqqrUX_qqe_8fXo&e= .
>>> >> com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=CwIBaQ&
>>> >> c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxP
>>> >> IWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=OWzFW_3eNE-QOhJ4wE2Qi9Ag1oawuyS9cgDHd5nAJNQ&
>>> s=WAxEM2AIS_
>>> >> jwbLgjwbtcXdFJfnMY-i3W8hyXvPPVRzQ&e=
>>> >>
>>> >> ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> >> The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.
>>> com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=CwIBaQ&c=-dg
>>> 2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsM
>>> FFaLQ&m=WcBOBBjidvuYC78_Zj-Cv5jG4VFdsjy7ug1rpdx0Ua8&s=hskzPl
>>> b6U1zDstfC0igIppMQAjeNFXnpUPdwv-8R9mA&e=
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > --
>>> > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>>> truth."
>>> >
>>> > ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> > The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.
>>> com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=CwIBaQ&c=-dg
>>> 2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsM
>>> FFaLQ&m=WcBOBBjidvuYC78_Zj-Cv5jG4VFdsjy7ug1rpdx0Ua8&s=hskzPl
>>> b6U1zDstfC0igIppMQAjeNFXnpUPdwv-8R9mA&e=
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>> truth."
>>
>
>
>
> --
> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."
>



-- 
"If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org


More information about the Ads-l mailing list