[Ads-l] Between you and I, I'm surprised!

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Nov 27 17:18:51 UTC 2016

Well, if it's good enough for Shakespeare ...

Running this through inside my head, I realise that I tend to be comfortable
with (and say), "Between you and I" when the phrase is in a nominal position,
possibly analysing, if I ever did such a thing, (Between you and) as qualifying
"I".

In contrast, if it follows the verb, I go for "me" -- "This is just between you
and me".

Just my idiolect, but.

Has there been any work done on whether the varieties of acceptability vary with
different geographical and social registers?  I'm tempted to say the "sometimes
I, sometimes me" version might reflect my Glasgow background, but I suspect that
would be rubbish.

 Robin