[Ads-l] Heard on Britspeak TV: "His business went _burst_."

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Nov 28 03:41:10 UTC 2016

I don't think Brits, of whatever variety, talk about a business going "burst" --
unless they're thinking of an accident in a fireworks factory.

However, they will be found, quite commonly, to refer to a business
establishment "going bust [sic]".

GDoS? -- Thusly: "bust adj.  //  also busted, busted up  //  [bust v.1 (4c)]  //
 1. bankrupt, subject to financial collapse."  Citations from 1829.

Also in OED, which derives "bust" from "burst".

R.