[Ads-l] How do others hear Canadian __ou_?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 08:36:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Paul A Johnston, Jr <
paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:

> I hear it as either a schwa, a caret, or even a true [o] + [u] (I hear
> that one mostly in Western Canada), not a monophthong.

That's a better description than mine, Paul. The sound isn't exactly the
vowel of _boat_, but it's certainly not the vowel of _boot_, even though
Canadians on American TV comedies - the only place that I've heard the
sound discussed - never fight that misconception. No doubt, it's just not
worth the hassle, eh?

--
-Wilson
-----