[Ads-l] OT: The Nigerian Scam revisited

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Oct 2 16:19:24 UTC 2016

What caught me (and not being an American citizen, I prolly miss out on letters
from the IRS) was the intimidation aspect of a variant of the Nigerian 419 [to
give it its full title] Scam.

Margaret -- was the email you reference linked to the 419 scam, or another form
of scamming/spamming?

Larry -- your version sounds like the standard 419 version, long running and
much loved.  Or am I missing something?

As it stands, I may be the first recipient of an email which is the unholy
offspring of a fake IRS demand and the Nigerian Scam.

Fame at last!

Robin

(Incidentally, is there anywhere an analysis of the lexicogrammar of a typical
419 email?  I'm especially intrigued by the varieties of religious experience
adduced in some of them.  And the ambulance-chasing aspect [which may be a
different issue], whereby virtually every civil disaster seems to [within days]
be followed by plaintive letters from Innocent Civilians who find untold
millions of their [whatever denomination] dollars trapped, and would appreciate
my assistance in liberating said currency.  R.)