[Ads-l] The Nigerian Scam revisited

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Oct 2 21:02:17 UTC 2016

Well, to be picky, the Nigerian 419 scam, specifically a web-based phenomenon,
is a variant on the Spanish Prisoner Con.  Pushing it back to England in the
1600s, I suppose guinea dropping could be considered a slighter variant of the
same business, as Guinea Droppers, Spanish Prisoner Conmen, and Nigerian [not
necessarily from that physical area, but so-called from the first identified ISP
address associated with the phenomenon] Scammers all appeal to the mark's
cupidity, thus in each case there being a hint of impropriety, never quite
reaching the level of illegality, in what the mark is expected to do to get
Loadsamoney.

Hey, let's not knock it -- it worked (well enough) in 1600, and it still seems
to work often enough today for it to be still worth practicing.

Sad old world, if you can bear to think about it. The Web seems intent on (among
other things) replicating, while spinning the electrons, scams which prolly
reach back to the time when a sharp chimpanzee first conned a silver-backed
gorilla out of his [sic] territory, while a couple of  bonobo monkeys looked on
disapprovingly.

Robin

(Aside: In the scale of primate social co-operativeness, homo sapiens as a whole
sits on a level with chimpanzees, above silver-backed gorillas but well below
the heights achieved by bonobo monkeys.  Puts us in our place, that does, in
more ways than one.  Bonobo monkeys are apparently even happy, or at least,
willing, to welcome immigrants from other tribes.  R.)