[Ads-l] The Nigerian Scam revisited

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Oct 3 00:11:59 UTC 2016

I think the key words here are, "gang up", "entrap", and "eat", Joel.

It's all too easy to think of analogous behavior in contemporary homo sap
civilization.

Also, there may be a confusion between actuarial reality and specific instances
-- the fact that, on average, left-handed people are more accident-prone than
right-handed people doesn't mean that any one specific left-handed individual is
necessarily more accident prone than another specific right-handed individual.

I was, in the scale of primate evolution, thinking mostly in terms of social
interaction -- we, homo saps, after all have the Internet, while bonobo monkeys
don't.

Robin

(All this goes back to a time, many years ago, when I was brooding over a piece
entitled, "Internet Discussion Lists Considered in Terms of Primate
Territoriality".  It didn't, probably for the best, go anywhere, but I was
trying to come to terms with the weird [to me] existence of an academic list,
that had better be nameless, where the convention was to sign posts with an
academic title, and at the worst, include status and institutional affiliation
-- Professor Kildare (M.D.) Amhurst.  Or whatever.

Difficult to imagine this happening on ADS-l.  But then ADS-l is pretty much
non-Noyau.   R.)