[Ads-l] What up doe--one last time (inspired by 'boresome')

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Oct 3 09:52:49 UTC 2016

Several weeks ago I posted about 'What up doe?', which I suspected had the same provenance as the examples Wilson cites ('boresome', 'choicy'); i.e. long-standing in AAVE, but recently noticed outside and therefore in UD.

Nobody else commented, so I'm asking one additional time--is it truly limited to Detroit, and only around since the early 2000's?

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 12:35 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Miscellanea: boresome, choicy v. boring, choosy

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

In my lost youth, *boresome* and *choicy* - neither of which my spellcheck
recognizes, though MW does - were universally used in BE in place of
*boring* and *choosy*. It was as though the latter were non-existent. Only
one *serious* code-switcher - this writer - ever bothered with the standard
forms.

I was mildly surprised to see *boresome* and *choicy* in the UD with the
usual, off-the-wall "definitions," as though they were slang. I was
startled to see that *boring* and *choosy* are likewise in the UD and are
given similar treatment. So...

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...