[Ads-l] wild card

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 3 17:42:44 UTC 2016

Of the various early examples I've turned up for the poker usage (predating
clearly adjectival "wild cards" starting in 1916 with Lardner), it's very
often phrased as "playing (with) deuces/jokers/etc. wild," so it seems to
me that "wild" was at least originally modifying "the whole situation," as
Larry puts it. Since the full expression was often given elliptically as
"Deuces (etc.) wild" (as "dealer's choice" instructions), I think that over
time such instructions came to be understood adjectivally as "Deuces (etc.)
*are* wild." But at least initially, that doesn't seem to have been the
default reading of "wild" -- otherwise we'd expect to see a range of more
clearly adjectival uses. So I'd just warn against a presentist
interpretation of the early evidence.