[Ads-l] The Slang Debate (cont.)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Oct 5 15:40:47 UTC 2016

A measured and judicious response on his blog today by Professor Liberman, in
response to my original comments there.

The relevant four paragraphs of his reply begin below the section entitled,
"Slang, the thing and the word".

             http://blog.oup.com/2016/10/etymology-gleanings-september-2016/

I suspect that some members of the list will be less than enthusiastic about
some things he says, especially at the end, but I felt he made a decent case,
amplifying some things in his original post that I disagreed with in such a way
that I found myself agreeing.

Overall, I do still feel that he was wrong in certain areas that I drew
attention to, but at least he considered the matter in some depth, and replied
with great courtesy.

Robin Hamilton