[Ads-l] "be-" [Was: Urban legend? Or fact?]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 6 19:32:21 UTC 2016

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 2:27 PM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> be-loved
> be-spoke
> be-holden
>
> All intensifiers, I think.  And many others, most of which I would not utter, seen in the OED's definition of "be-, prefix,"esp. second paragraph.   Excerpt:
>
> "In such as be-daub, be-spatter, be-stir, be-strew, the notion of ‘all about, all round, over,’ or ‘throughout,’ naturally intensifies the sense of the verb; whence, be- comes to be more or less a simple intensive, as in be-muddle, be-crowd, be-grudge, be-break,"
>
> Joel

be-break? don't hardly hear that one much these days. "besmirch" is alive and well, and more robust than "smirch" itself, at a more than 2:1 ratio of raw ghits, FWIW.   be- is also a (no longer productive) verb-forming prefix with denominal uses (betoken, befog, bejewel, behead, bewitch) and deadjectival uses (befoul, becalm, belittle).  Sort of like eN-.  With "beloved", though, I don't have the sense that there's an actual verb "belove" lurking.

LH