[Ads-l] WOTY? The p-word

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sat Oct 8 23:01:12 UTC 2016

Hm ... The Guardian and the NYT seem to have a relatively close, if informal,
relationship, but I'm surprised it's extended to the nuances of what is and what
isn't acceptable usage in a general context.

OTOH, while I was a *little* surprised to see the Guardian printing what they
did without pussyfooting around the issue, I would be astounded if they printed
"nigger", even heavily contextualised, and surrounded by quotes.  "The N-word"
remains the default here.

Mind you, we have nothing on air, either audio or visual, corresponding to
Howard Stern, so it seems to me, from this afar, that there's a heavy relaxation
on air at the same time that there's much more caution in print, in the US of A.

Go figure.

We also lack a Rush Limbaugh, but we do have our very own Nigel Farrage, who
even managed to make it onto the platform of one of the Frog's rallies.

Robin