[Ads-l] Preferred Pronoun--pragmatics and policy

Flourish Klink flourish.klink at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 10 17:16:37 UTC 2016

I certainly agree with the problem of unique pronouns (someone I knew once
wanted "ou," which I did my best to comply with but *really *found almost
impossible), but I always wonder: Why not use "they," which has been
perfectly serviceable as a pronoun for people whose gender is unknown for
ages? (I'm sure there is a good reason and someone on this list will tell
me—but it's evaded me thus far, despite many discussions with many clever
people.)

As for everything else, I would point out that for those of us who are cis
and yet sometimes misgendered, sharing this information saves a lot of
embarrassment. Not embarrassment on my part (I don't care if you call me
male! I'm fully aware that I can look boyish) but on the part of people who
really don't want to get it wrong. It's really awkward when someone calls
you "sir," then insists on a twenty-minute apology session.