[Ads-l] I'm a < I'm going to

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Oct 10 22:31:39 UTC 2016

... or apostrophes are eschewed because their use suggests that the term
transcribed is an incorrect contracted version of a longer and more correct
norm, whereas, of course, the shorter form is simply part of a particular speech
register.  Different registers, different norms.

Nae apostrophes whin yi come tae transcribe oor speech, ya bas!  ***

This was a rather serious issue in Glasgow in the sixties, long before
smartfones were a twinkle in Bill Gates' granny's eye.  And here was I thinking
that that particular war was over.

Robin

***  "ya bas!" -- A terminal syntactic phrase denoting emphasis, possibly from
the Spanish, but no one was ever sure, more probably linked to "basta = enough",
could be heard thereabouts thenwhen, usually in the form of either "Tongs, ya
bas!" or "Cumbie, ya bas!", depending on which religious grouping the utterer
adhered to.

R.

(Who has just antedated "wing=fly to" [London flash slang] by ten years from
1835 back to 1825, When All England Then Were Slanging It.  Or perhaps it will
appear on-line.  We'll know in two day's time.)