[Ads-l] "Fish Without a Bicycle" Quote

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Oct 11 20:11:47 UTC 2016

Let us know when you figure it out.

> Bill Mullins has pushed the earliest documented example of "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle" back to June 5, 1976.
> Garson O'Toole pushed the earliest attestation of the similar "[A] woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" back to May 5, 1976.

The following predecessor is mentioned in the archives, but I don't see it accurately dated anywhere:

_Madison [WI] Capital Times_ 25 July 1972 p 32 col 4 [newspaperarchive.com]

"While I have felt for years that a man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle, I long ago gave up fighting people's superstitious beliefs."