[Ads-l] Linguistics

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 14 17:56:58 UTC 2016

If it helps any, the chorus of the song goes, "You're so mystifyingly glad,
I'm Mr. Dieingly Sad" (and then at the end, "I'm so mystifyingly glad, not
Mr. Dieingly Sad"). The title is, uh, mystifying, to say the least --
including the spelling, which Mr. Ciccone explained here:

---
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/backstage-pass-don-ciccone-reminisces-about-the-critters
When the song was released, I never got to approve label copy. That’s why
it was spelled wrong on the label. So for all of eternity, I have to deal
with somebody who never knew how to spell, spelling the name of “Dieingly
Sad.” I never had any written notes, but of course, I would have spelled it
right. The word dying is spelled d-y-i-n-g, but you get these guys working
for the record company, they weren’t educated guys from college. They were
street guys putting these companies together. So to them it was  d-i-e,
die, i-n-g ing, l-y ly. So now I have people looking at the label and
asking me “So this is your song Mr. DING-LY sad?” Any time that I will
re-record it from here on out, I’m spelling it correctly, with a “Y.” Not
that there is such a word.
---