[Ads-l] Right back atcha!

Sun Oct 16 13:34:02 UTC 2016

The phrase reciprocates a compliment or insult according to an online
dictionary.

Website: The Free Dictionary by FARLEX
Category: Idiom:
Entry: right back atcha
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/right+back+atcha

[Begin excerpt]
right back atcha

An exclamation used to express the same sentiment back to the original
speaker; same as "you too" and "same to you." ("atcha" is a colloquial
contraction of "at you.") Primarily heard in US, South Africa. A:
"You're one of the nicest people I know." B: "Aw, thanks! Right back
atcha! A: "You act like an idiot sometimes." B: "Right back atcha, you
jerk.
[End excerpt]

The phrase can be used more generally to reciprocate actions or utterances.

In 1913 Ring Lardner recorded its use in the gambling domain.

[ref] 1913 December 21, Chicago Tribune, Section 3: Sporting Section,
In the Wake of the News by R. W. Lardner, Quote Page 1, Column 2,
Chicago, Illinois/ (Newspapers_com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Zim—All right. A buck.
Schulte—A buck more, Heine. Throw' em away.
Zim—You think you'r going' to chase me. I'll raise you another buck.
Schulte—All right. A buck more.
Zim—Right back atcha.
Schulte—Once more.
Zim—Once more.