[Ads-l] Right back atcha!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 17 01:48:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ring Lardner

Old Ring is a pistol! I was once going to post something about the the
phonology of BE WRT the name of the St. Louis rap group, Da Thurlbredz. For
some reason, I googled _thurlbred_ before posting and found:

Ring Lardner: Stories & Other Writings
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1598532820
Ring Lardner, ‎Ian Frazier - 2013 - ‎Preview - ‎[No pagination]
So I had to explain that he didn't run no livery, but owned a string of
race horses. " How thrilling!" says Katie. "I love races! I went to the
Grand Circuit once, the time I was in Columbus." "These is different," I
says. “These is _thurlbreds_.” “So was they _thurlbreds_!” she says. “You
always think a thing can't be no good if you wasn't there.” I let her win
that one. “We must find out when the race is and go,” said the Mrs. “They's
six of them every day,” I said, “but it costs about five smackers apiece to
get in, to say nothing about what you lose betting."

Clearly, that pronunciation is not specific to BE.
--
-Wilson
-----