[Ads-l] "expire", trans.?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 18 20:15:19 UTC 2016

I suppose if governments can disappear people, programs can expire passwords.   I just got this as a

MESSAGE FROM DROPBOX:

Please change your password

We expired your password as a security precaution. See our Help Center for more information...

I then googled it and found,  inter alia, the following.  (I don't know if anyone other than Dropbox has the power to expire anything.)

https://www.dropbox.com/help/379 <https://www.dropbox.com/help/379>
Why did my password expire?

We may expire passwords from time to time as a proactive security measure to protect accounts. Accounts may be at risk if suspicious account activity is detected or passwords are exposed. Passwords can be exposed by a different service, phishing, or malware. You’ll need to update your password before linking a new computer, phone, tablet, or API app.

LH