[Ads-l] Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Oct 19 00:40:47 UTC 2016

"Pikachu, I choose you" is very closely associated with Pokémon and is a strong contender for inclusion in the top 100 TV catchphrases.

"Bazinga!" is a term used by Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory to mean, roughly, "I got you with my joke!"  Like Sheldon (in a social sense), it's a little lame.

"That's what she said" is a very well-known catchphrase, but I wasn't aware that it was particularly associated with The Office, which I have never watched.  Know Your Meme says that it was first popularized in the 1992 movie Wayne's World.

Like Fred, I've never heard "Hooraay, I'm useful!" even though I occasionally watched Futurama.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Shapiro, Fred
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:27 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases

One of my difficult challenges in compiling the second edition of the Yale Book of Quotations is to determine the most famous TV catchphrases of recent decades (difficult because I haven't watched many of even the most popular shows).  If any of you have watched enough modern TV to be able to help, I would welcome any feedback as to which of the following are "top 100 TV catchphrases of all time" material.  Any input on relative fame/cultural importance ranking among these catchphrases would also be very valuable.  And, of course, suggestions of other very famous catchphrases from recent shows would be great.

Burn!

That 70s Show

Pikachu, I choose you!

Pokemon

Hooraay, I'm useful!

Futurama

Prettyyyyy, prettyyyy, prettyyyy, pretty good.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The Wire

Hey Brother.

Arrested Development

Let's hug it out, bitch.

Entourage

Suit up!

How I Met Your Mother

Bazinga

Big Bang Theory

Blerg!

30 Rock

That's what she said.

The Office

Some of these I have never heard of even though I have watched the shows to some extent (That 70s Show, Futurama, Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Fred Shapiro