[Ads-l] _hit in the face with the ugly stick_

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 19 00:57:27 UTC 2016

Green's Dictionary of Slang has:

_beat with an ugly stick_ (v.) (also _hit over the head with an/the ugly
stick_, _slap..._, _whip...)
1. (Aus./US) to cause to be unattractive; often as a supposed reason for
one’s lack of good looks, e.g. _he was beat with an ugly stick_.
1985 [Aus] B. Humphries _Traveller’s Tool_ 20: You’d swear they’d all been
hit over the head with the ugly stick.
1989 [US] P. Munro _Sl. U._ 28: be beat with an ugly stick / be slapped
with an ugly stick / be whipped with an ugly stick to be ugly (often used
as a reason for why someone should be ugly).
1996–2000 [US] (con. 1940s) Deuce Ofay Productions ‘The Jive Bible’ at
JiveOn.com [Internet] Angela, what you doin’ wit’ Rick? He ’bout as low as
you can go wit’ out somebody takin’ the ugly stick to yo’ head!
2010 [UK] K. Richards _Life_ 134 Your old lady’s so ugly, I had to chase
her away with an ugly stick.