[Ads-l] Should ze be in the dictionary?

Baron, Dennis E debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Thu Oct 20 14:44:59 UTC 2016

This, on the Web of Language, now:

Should ze be in the dictionary?

Gender-neutral pronouns were in the news again this Fall, as more universities gave students the option of picking their own pronouns. (For last year’s university pronoun news, click here<https://illinois.edu/blog/view/25/242099>). In addition to the traditional binary he and she, options may include invented words like ze, jhe, sie, and hie, along with singular they. “Ask me about my pronouns” has become a way to recognize gender nonconformity.

Not everybody likes these invented pronouns, but a lot of people are using them. The question isn't whether ze should be banned or promoted--that's something people will decide for themselves. The question is, Should ze be in the dictionary?

Read the post here: http://bit.ly/1B29f6v