[Ads-l] weakness leaving the body

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 2 17:36:16 UTC 2016

The magnificent Dictionary of Modern Proverbs traces this back to 1991 (the "magnificent" characterization is not bragging on my part, as all credit goes to Charlie Doyle for the book's magnificence).

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, September 2, 2016 1:22 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: weakness leaving the body

Apparently physical trainers are fond of saying, "Pain is [just] weakness
leaving the body."

The earliest I find is from GB, 1996, in the alternative form "Soreness
is...." That writer, a Navy SEAL, actually advises the wisdom of
distinguishing between soreness and pain, making him a less demanding
taskmaster than most who came later.

JL

The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=CwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=sRkhHMQo6W5Ird1lkQFqb23bCfSHAR2XjUSUG53db5M&m=E4Fam-wGRvxJlt0MGVe_EE3n6pcW1H3xBALkhJOP3Ug&s=nWeifkO8-DvCcv8_bguuomGEeqZq2_XcEyKKQQ-b3ts&e=