[Ads-l] Request 02 Now Satisfied for "Vertical expression of a horizontal wish"

Sat Sep 10 18:37:33 UTC 2016

Great thanks to Stephen Goranson who was able to verify the requested
citation. As suggested in the original message on this thread almost
every piece of metadata provided by Google Books was inaccurate.
Stephen was kind enough to help in this case, and I was able to
extract the correct metadata. Here is the information regarding the
second oldest citation (known to me) for the popular quotation about
dance.

[ref] 1966 February 19, Thought: A Weekly Review of Politics & the
Arts, Volume 18, Number 8, Not Malice Alone by R.S., Quote Page 21,
Column 3, Printed on behalf of Siddhartha Publications Ltd. By R.L.
Chadha at Naya Hindustan Press, Delhi, India. (Verified with scans;
thanks to the Duke University Library System)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The Vertical of the Horizontal

Q: What is ballroom dancing?
Answer: Vertical expression of a horizontal wish.
—I.S. Johar in Filmfare.
[End excerpt]

Note: The Google Books database is a remarkable monument to human
knowledge and ingenuity. It is enormously valuable, and I am not
attacking it when I discuss inaccurate metadata.

Garson