[Ads-l] of interest to someone here, perhaps?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 11 16:23:11 UTC 2016

Also, I'm not sure whether "padduc=frog" should strictly be described as
unattested, given the fully-attested existence of puddock for the same creature.

Not in the OED, but Standard Medieval Scots, as in Henryson's "The Puddock and
the Mouse".

I'm sure the SLD will have something pertinent anent this.

Robin Hamilton

(Just rechecked, and the OED *does* notice the term [though not citing
Henryson], as a spelling variant of paddock, n.1, which makes the Unattested
Status of the Frog even less explicable.   R.)