[Ads-l] Clark University students told they can't say 'you guys' because it might be sexist | Daily Mail Online

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 11 17:32:06 UTC 2016

> On Sep 11, 2016, at 1:25 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Benjamin Barrett <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> it doesn’t seem particularly uncommon.
>

> Ain't that the sad truth?

One of the most frequent prompts for my red pen in reading dissertation chapters is the need to overrule the apparent rule:

Subjects that are relatively long, require a comma before their predicates.

Since the relative clauses in these cases tend to be restrictive ones, I'm not sure a comma is in order (as opposed to the paired commas around non-restrictive relatives:

Let all that poison, which lurks in the mud, hatch out.
Let all the poison that lurks in the mud hatch out.

Yes, I'm wearing my prescriptivist hat...

LH