[Ads-l] Kibosh

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 13 21:21:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:56 AM, David Daniel <dad at coarsecourses.com> wrote:

> kibosh

For the first fifty or sixty years of my life, I didn't hear this word
spoken at all, but I read it as "kih-BOSH." The first time that I heard it
spoken - on some TV show 'nutha - I was startled to hear "KIGH-bosh." After
hearing it said that way a few times, I then started hearing "kih-BOSH,
too."

So, I've now dropped back five and punted, reverting to "[put the] bads
[on]," which I first heard in the Army in 1961.

Sadly, the fellow-GI who introduced me to the term, told the story of the
"sleeve-job" and the "walk-job," and composed "Wouldn't It Be Soldierly" to
the tune of "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" - "All I want is my own M-1 / Which I
would never call a 'gun'" - has been rendered mute by a stroke.
--
-Wilson
-----