[Ads-l] "void _out_"?!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 15 17:32:37 UTC 2016

> On Sep 15, 2016, at 1:14 PM, Benjamin Barrett <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> FWIW, this sounds normal for things such as voiding a transaction in a cash register. BB

Also: "cancel out", as in "I would like to cancel out my reservation".  I tried googling "cancel out my" but got swamped with hits for "Cancel out my ex", from a popular rap, so I searched with "-ex", and then I got a bunch.  Arguably, to "cancel out" bad karma with a good deed, or one's spouse's vote with one's own, or two cheeseburgers with kale salad, isn't quite the same as canceling--more like "cancel" + "balance out"/"wipe out".

LH