[Ads-l] No soap and fair to middling

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Sat Sep 17 08:26:38 UTC 2016

My thanks to Peter Morris, Garson O’Toole and Jonathan Lighter for their
comments and antedated citations for the expression /Joe Soap/. I have
re-researched and substantially updated my piece of 2007
(http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-joe2.htm), with appropriate
acknowledgement to them.

A comment by Ben Zimmer earlier this week - to whom thanks also go - led
me to look again at my discussion of /fair to middling/
(http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-fai4.htm), which I wrote in the
dark ages of 2001. This, too, has been updated and recast, with better
treatment of the lower-case /fair to midland/ version and improved
earlier examples.

Various discussions on ADS-L have provided me with evidence for a dozen
other pieces that need revision. With limited time these days, it's
taking me a while to work through them. With nearly 3000 pieces on the
site, there's surely plenty of room for improvement elsewhere but I
shudder inwardly at the thought of the labour involved!

--

Michael Quinion, World Wide Words
http://www.worldwidewords.org