[Ads-l] "substitute" woes

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 17 18:15:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Not sure which verb you're thinking of

That makes two of us! Even more anecdotally, back in the '80's a friend
told me of thinking that he was going to have to revise his thesis after
reading a German Accepted Authority's statement that he interpreted to the
effect that "X is substituted by Y," when his entire thesis was based on
the assumption that Y is replaced by X. Resorting to a good German-English
aborted the myocardial infarction.

--
-Wilson
-----