[Ads-l] Where are the PC police?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 18 04:30:38 UTC 2016

There's this, for a complete text:

      https://archive.org/stream/remarkablestoryo00bostiala#page/n0/mode/2up

It doesn't show up on an obvious google (or internal Internet Archive) search,
as John Greene Chandler's name has been removed in the course of  (various?)
reprinting(s), but you can get to it via the title.

Not the original 1840 edition, where the illustrations are in colour, but as far
as I can make out, otherwise identical.

I'm not absolutely sure, as I've never managed to get my eyes near a proper
first edition to check it against, but probably good enough for government work.

(Thinking about it, I'm not even absolutely sure that the illustrations
originally *were* in colour.  I've seen images like that, but they may have been
coloured after the fact.)

Actually, comparing the text from the link above, with the images Garson links
to below, they seem (a) to be, with the exception that Chandler's name is
obliterated from the cover of the reprint, identical, and (b) to my untrained
eye, the colours in the americanantiquarian images look as if they were
hand-painted onto/into an originally penny-plain text.

Which is what would more likely be found at a country fair, which was where
Chandler sold it first.

Robin

(Who unlike Garson, managed to totally misremember the date.  With the correct
date of 1840, Chandler beats the first printing of the Scottish version by two
years, and takes the crown.  More, possibly, if the longer [abominably prolix]
MS version which lies behind the printed text was written substantially
earlier.)

Incidentally, there's a raft of versions, including the 1849 Halliwell-Phillipps
one, here:

        http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type2033.html#chambers1841

The Scottish version should [but doesn't] carry a health-warning.  It's, to put
it mildly, "translated" into English.  On the whole, I really like Ashliman's
site, both here and beyond the issue at hand, but in that instance ... words
fail me.    :-(

R.