[Ads-l] troops

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 18 16:23:06 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Christopher Philippo <toff at mac.com> wrote:

> A troop means both “one soldier” and "a group of soldiers,"

Since at least the '50's, when I was in basic training. As was also used in
the military since at least those days, "I could care less."

Stand tall up in there, troop!

FWIW, the term of address, "One soldier!" was also used.

> Col. Dave Lapan

Don't make me laugh! Only the troops know or care what the troops say or
do, as long as it doesn't involve refusing to carry out a direct order from
someone in one's particular chain of command or from an MP.

An appeal to authority is always a waste of time, when it comes to
language, especially when the language is in-group jargon.

Bring back the draft!

--
-Wilson
-----