[Ads-l] Others may find this useful -- Grab that Page (or reference)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Sep 19 17:19:39 UTC 2016

In the wake of Wilson's post directing the list towards the F1000Workspace
capture program (is that the correct way to put it?), I realised that I ought to
get reference software (again, how to put this?) up and running on the new
computer I'm glumly coming to terms with.

To cut to the chase, I went for Zotero:

       https://www.zotero.org/

Zotero will grab-and-save all of the following:   webpages;   pdf files (with
bibliographical data);   bibliographical data from various online catalogues.

A poor person's Endnote, with extra bells and whistles.  Or so it seems.  (Both
F1000Workspace and Zotero are free.)

Anyone (ideally) used both (or either), and able to comment on which is more
better {snigger}?  Is it horses for courses?

CAVEATS:

Neither F1000Workspace nor Zotero (currently) work with Edge, the default
Windows10 browser -- I've moved back to Chrome as a result.

Zotero as a functional bibliographical database program (which was the main
reason I went for it) -- I've only been using the program for a couple of days,
so I amn't yet in a position to say how satisfactory it is, either in that
specific area or more generally.  At the moment, it looks like the answer to a
maiden's prayer, but may turn out to be a frog when the honeymoon is over.

Robin Hamilton