[Ads-l] early "substitute for" = 'replace with'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 21 13:39:29 UTC 2016

1943 Miles Malleson & De Witt Bodeen _Yellow Canary_ (film): Even as I am
speaking, a great convoy is nearing its destination. Last night, under the
cover of the fog, Number Four of the convoy, manned by Fifth Columnists,
was substituted for an identical ship manned by a German crew. On board are
tons of TNT! The crew will abandon ship, and the time fuse will do its work!

JL