[Ads-l] Root of Pook?

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 23:46:29 UTC 2016

FK:  << ... the classic prep nickname "Pookie"? >>
WB:  More than likely Soupy Sales buddy, though more hep than prep.
Wp: << Pookie the Lion, a lion puppet appearing in a large window behind
Soupy Sales (1950s), was a hipster with a rapier wit. For example: Soupy:
"Do you know why my life is so miserable?" Pookie: "You got me!" Soupy:
"That's why!" One of Pookie's favorite lines when greeting Soupy was, "Hey
bubby... want a kiss?". In the Detroit shows, Pookie never spoke but
communicated in whistles. That puppet also was used to mouth the words
while pantomiming novelty records on the show.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8e_uRzhMU