[Ads-l] "man" avoidance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 24 16:24:43 UTC 2016

Not wrong logically but weird stylistically. Which is the problem.

The writer intentionally avoids writing "men" in the lead when, in this
case, men are obviously the focus of the story."Men and women" are also
easier to picture than "people." There's no good reason that I can think of
to avoid the more customary phrase. The bad reason, however, seems to be
the superstition that one should never specify anyone's sex unless
absolutely unavoidable.

And biological sex was indeed significant, since women were not permitted
to fly in combat, maintain aircraft, etc. "Masculinity" (or "maleness") in
the simple sense of being a male human adult was a requirement.

To write "311 people," followed immediately by a discussion of planes shot
down, suggests that a fair number of women were flying as combat pilots -
as they do today.

 "309 men and two women" is more specific and prevents that
misinterpretation; and whatever prevents misinterpretation is a necessary
thing.

JL